Sales & Marketing Director
Southern California (based in Los Angeles or San Diego)
Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $44 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 2%. Just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a national scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals. Now is the perfect time to upgrade your career with a green collar job.
Green Power Systems, Inc. (GPS) provides sustainable renewable energy products and services to homes and businesses. As experts in Solar | Roofing | HVAC | Windows | and Coatings, we understand that building green is not only the right thing to do, but the smart thing to do. Green buildings yield cost savings through reduced energy and water consumption, provide healthy indoor surroundings conducive to productivity, and place less of a burden on natural resources. GPS takes care of every step in the process to include design, engineering, project management and maintenance.
Established in 2002, we have evolved into one of the leading industry experts in the Southwestern United States and have built a reputation for our exceptional quality of knowledge base, best in class customer service, and field-proven measured results. By combining our outstanding product lines with in-depth knowledge, ultimate customer support services, zero down financing, and custom turnkey solutions, you can be sure that GPS is your best choice.
We are seeking a proven Sales & Marketing Director, who will manage, motivate, and direct our residential and commercial sales teams through-out Southern California. to expand our brand further into the Las Vegas and Phoenix regional markets the Southwestern US, targeting small to medium sized corporate accounts. We are seeking an experienced big ticket, long cycle, complex B2B sales closer to exceed sales quotas with integrity.
The primary purpose of this position is to drive bookings and revenue growth in assigned geographical or industry vertical territories through establishing and maintaining key relationships with potential customers, project developers, financiers, and, c-level executives. The candidate will be expected to be the primary regional expert in the company, and must either have or quickly develop fundamental market knowledge and the ability to create a successful plan to win new business. A strong applicant will be smart, articulate, motivated, creative, and organized, with the ability to learn the technical and financial details of our business quickly
Position Responsibilities (will include but not limited to)
- Primary Responsibility. The primary responsibility of the position will be to lead a team of Account Executives, Business Development Managers and Sales Analysts to develop and secure residential in-home sales, distributed generation, medium to large-scale (>$5M) solar electric system contracts (Contracts) in Northern California and other geographic territories where there is substantial business value or a key relationship. The client focus for this position will be public agencies (such as Cities and Counties) and educational customers (such as public school districts, colleges and universities). The Contracts may include the sale of power (through PPAs) into utility distributed generation programs or through net energy metering (NEM) agreements, with energy sales to end users. The measurement of success will be two metrics, booking of Contracts (for which there will be annual quota) and sales pipeline development (for which there will be quarterly and annual targets). The Contracts may also be sold under EPC agreements with education and public agency electric customers or investors. Success in securing Contracts will be influenced by the Senior Sales Manager’s capabilities in sales management, sales strategy, team leadership, origination and qualification of accounts, developing talent, hiring, public policy, renewable energy technology, integrated energy services (e.g., energy information systems, energy efficiency, demand management and energy storage) and sales.
- Public Policy Understanding. In order to secure Contracts, the Senior Sales Manager will need to be well versed in both current and anticipated changes to public policy related to grid connected solar electric systems in California. With this knowledge in hand, the Senior Sales Manager will need to anticipate and target the best opportunities throughout California. SunPower has excellent resources in place to provide necessary support in this regard.
- Sales Management Capabilities. The Senior Sales Manager will need a strong understanding of sales management and strategy, and also have the aptitude to support and coach sales leaders in strategies and techniques for developing and closing business opportunities. It is anticipated that the Senior Sales Manager will need to recruit and take a lead in hiring and developing new sales talent, and also provide strategic account review as well as financial/technical review and guidance for his/her team members.
- New Business Development/Offerings. The Manager will require a solid understanding of energy usage in commercial and government facilities, electric rate structuring and energy modeling; utility interconnection standards and procedures; and general planning and permitting processes for grid connected PV systems, less than 20MWp.
- Technology. A key distinction for SunPower in the market are technology advantages, including PV cell efficiency, mounting system strategies, system design experience and operating capabilities. The Senior Sales Manager will be expected to comprehend our technical differentiation, integrate those into business strategies and initiatives, and assist team members in conveying those advantages in a compelling manner in proposals and presentations.
- To serve as your teams sales engineer assisting them to close PPA and turnkey EPC contracts for solar projects between 50 -and- 250 kW
- Meet or exceed annual sales targets (>$1.2 MM)
- Developing projects from inception to executed contract
- Be able to generate leads/opportunities primarily through independent activities including account profiling, cold calls, business networking and other market penetration strategies.
- Quickly identify key players and potential clients in the Target Market, filter and prioritize “real” opportunities from others
- Gather market intelligence and expand relationships with appropriate officials to understand project approval process, electric rates and regulations and incentives structures
- Analyze impact of changing regulatory environment and adjust strategy as necessary
- Work independently and with senior management team to develop and execute on strategic plans to win identified opportunities
- Work with GPS Engineers and Finance teams to identify the most appropriate technical, material and financial solutions to optimize system competitiveness and be able to clearly present combined technical and financial solution to clients
- Generate proposals, quotes, and formal RFP responses
- Work with legal and executive teams to negotiate contract terms and close transactions
- Consult with clients, construction and finance professionals in developing necessary financial models and assist with tax, financing, and regulatory related research and negotiations
- Lead project hand-off to operations team for closed business
- Represent GPS at marketing events such as trade shows and industry events
- Appropriately maintain pipeline reporting and deal activity (Salesforce exp. preferred)
A minimum of a BA or BS degree in a engineering or business discipline is required … MBA preferred
- Solar electric panel sales management REQUIRED,
- Strong knowledge of roofing, and HVAC industries preferred
- A minimum of 5 years proven track record in sales management is REQUIRED.
- Must have a substantiated track record in leading sales teams and securing deals, exceeding sales goals, and providing quality leadership
- Demonstrated success in hiring and developing sales talent
- A minimum of 5 years experience in energy project development, or a comparable field, is preferred.
- Will need to demonstrate success in building and maintaining successful relationships at all organizational levels with customers, coworkers and potential partners (such as financiers or contractors/manufacturers)
- Superior skills in utilizing MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Exceptional communications and selling skills, both written and oral
- Self-motivated, independent professional with an ability to thrive under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to manage and interface effectively with cross-functional employee groups
- Ability to manage multiple projects in parallel and prioritize competing demands
- Tenacious problem solver that can accurately assess, solve, implement, and communicate outcomes of complex challenges
- Advanced level aptitude of finance / business concepts (NPV, ROI, IRR, etc)
- Familiarity with formal project management methodologies and ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering drawings is REQUIRED
- A valid driver’s license
GPS’ approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a workplace that is casual, upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction and education. We offer great pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
- Competitive Base Salary
- Competitive Commission Plan
- Incentive Bonus Program
- Paid Health Insurance
- Paid Vacation, Sick, and Holidays
- Self managed flexible work schedules and time off policies
Be excited about what you do
You’ve got valuable knowledge and on-the-job experience … and we want to hear from you. Contact us directly by emailing your resume (Sales&MarketingDirector@GreenPowerSystems.com).